We are always working to improve physical access to the Coast Path and to provide useful information to help you plan and enjoy your visit.
That’s why we are working closely with relevant partners to:
- Provide relevant and accurate, user-friendly information. This helps to give people more confidence, including those with limited mobility, in finding out how and where to access the Coast Path
- Identify and carry out physical works to reduce the number of obstacles and improve path condition. This includes removing stiles, widening gateways, upgrading surfacing, and improving drainage
Working with key partners, such as Disabled Ramblers, Torbay Coast & Countryside Trust, and the Devon Countryside Access Forum we are reviewing and updating all our Easy Access routes. We are carrying out this work thanks to the help of some of our dedicated volunteers.
This review includes:
- Updating Easy Access routes - to ensure they meet or exceed the main criteria of being reasonably level, relatively wide and largely obstacle free
- Providing relevant, easy to find, and clear information – including details about public transport, parking, refreshments, and toilets
- Creating better downloadable Easy Access route guides – supporting and informing visits
- Identifying and implementing path improvements – for example removing or upgrading gates to improve ease of use for people with wheelchairs and pushchairs
- Promoting additional Easy Access routes - extending how much of the SWCP is accessible for people with limited mobility