If you are planning a trip to the seaside via the South West Coast Path, especially in the summer months, we suggest making use of the BeachWise advice website. Here you will find simple, useful tips for enjoying the south west coast safely and responsibly, so that you get the most from your visit. We know that the Path is not just for walkers and runners, it is ultimately the gateway to the sea, so please do heed the advice about water safety if you plan to get in!
The BeachWise website brings together important information that you need for your trip in one place. You can find out about:
- safely accessing beaches using the Coast Path
- sun protection and hydration
- when the quality of bathing water can be compromised by bad weather
- what the various flags and signs on beaches really mean
- how to respect the environment you are enjoying – remember a beach is a habitat for local wildlife
- swimming and surfing safety, especially tides and current
We say please educate yourselves, have fun at the seaside, and be BeachWise!
At the South West Coast Path Association, we are proud to be members of the BeachWise Partnership, a group of organisations and charities with the coast at their heart, founded by our sponsors South West Water.