Beside the Sea 2019
...enter to win a stand up paddle board!
Enter your photo on Instagram today using #besidethesea19
Tag @southwestcoastpath @southwestwater
Our summertime social media competition in partnership with long-standing sponsors South West Water is back to celebrate the fun and adventure of the South West's coastline, beaches and top-quality bathing waters. Enter to be in with a chance of winning an awesome stand up paddle board to enjoy this summer!
What kind of photos are we looking for?
- First and foremost, this competition is about images of people enjoying the South West coast (anywhere from Minehead in Somerset, around to Poole in Dorset). No landscapes without a human subject please! If landscapes are your thing, please enter our 'South West Coast Path Photographer of the Year' Competition.
- Photos should be playful and fun. They could be active (trail running, walking, surfing, SUP-ing) or depict a ‘quintessentially British summer seaside scene’.
- They must be taken on or next to the Coast Path.
- Photos taken on a smart phone are ideal, but any digital photo is fine. The higher resolution, the better.
Perfect for some school holiday fun
‘Beside the Sea 2019’ opens Thursday 1st August and we are accepting entries via Instagram until Saturday 31st August, after when we will shortlist and go to a public vote for the winner on the South West Coast Path Facebook page. This should give you plenty of time to plan a jaunt on the Path during the summer holidays, taking in some of the incredible hidden coves and beaches along the way!
“The sun has made a few appearances already this year so we’ve managed to have a couple of beach days and coastal walks. We’re really looking forward to getting out more this summer and ticking more things off our ‘Cornish Bucket List’. Make sure you send in your photos and enter because you never know, you might win!”
– Laura Percy, who won Beside the Sea 2018 with the lovely photo below
How to capture your shot
- Check out our pick of summer time walks for location inspiration and then head out for a walk on the Coast Path, keeping an eye out for photo opportunities. Try as many beaches as you like along the way! Click here to see the full list of 32 beaches awarded blue flag status in the South West this year.
- Take lots of photos – you are more likely to get one you are happy with.
- Take friends and family out with you, ask if they will be your subjects.
- Head to the BeachWise website for advice on safely enjoying the seaside whilst you look for that perfect shot. Most importantly, please remember not to get too close to the edge of any cliffs – no photo is worth risking your life.
- If you able to, please consider doing a #2minutebeachclean when you are out taking your photos. It is worth keeping a bag (and possibly some gloves!) with you for this.
How do you enter?
- If you have an Instagram account, simply upload your photo to your own account, tagging in @southwestcoastpath, @southwestwater and using #besidethesea2019 and we will count your entry. Make sure you tell us where the photo was taken.
- If you don’t use Instagram simply email your entry to [email protected] and we will post your entry to Instagram on your behalf.
We can’t wait to see your entries, good luck!
Terms and Conditions
- The 'Beside the Sea’ competition runs for a month on the South West Coast Path Association’s Instagram page. Entries open on Thursday 1st August 2019 and close Saturday 31st August at midnight. To decide the winner, a shortlist of the strongest entries as chosen by the South West Coast Path Association will be put to a public vote via the South West Coast Path Association’s Facebook page between Friday 6th September and Sunday 8th September 2019. The winner will be announced on Monday 9th September 2019 via the South West Coast Path Association’s social media platforms.
- The winning entry, as decided by public vote will receive a new stand up paddle board. In the event of a tie, the South West Coast Path Association will have casting vote on the winning entry.
- The South West Coast Path Association make no claims on your copyright.
- In submitting a photograph, you give your permission for the South West Coast Path Association and South West Water to publish your photograph on our websites, social media and photo galleries (e.g. Flickr), and to use it without charge to promote the South West Coast Path and the competition in print and digital formats. Whenever your photograph is used we will endeavour to ensure you are credited as the photographer.
- Entrants who submit their photograph via email consent to their entry being posted on Instagram via the Association’s account.
- You can enter as many photographs as you want.
- You must own the photographs that you enter in this competition.
- The photographs must be taken on, or near to the South West Coast Path.
- If the people in your photograph are recognisable, you must have obtained their permission for the pictures to be entered into the competition and used for promotional purposes.
- If you are the winner of this competition we will need to contact you via Instagram, Facebook or email to obtain your postal address details and arrange redemption of your prize.
- Any personal contact information that you share with us through the Beside the Sea competition will be held securely and in accordance with GDPR. We will never share or sell your personal data with third parties.
- The prize is non-transferable.
- Judges decisions are final.