Tregantle Ranges, (South Cornwall)
(Grid ref: between SX 375 535 and SX 386 528)
Opened in late 2003, it is now possible to walk through the ranges. This has been made possible by the Ministry of Defence following representations by us. [See our annual award for 2003.]
For information about range opening times, call 01752 822516. When the range walks are closed you will need to take a 1.5 mile (2.4km) detour along roads on the "old" path.
Lulworth Ranges, (Dorset)
(Grid ref: between SY 828 797 and SY 900 790)
Lulworth Range walks, including the Coast Path between Lulworth Cove and Kimmeridge Bay, plus access to Tyneham village, are open to the public every weekend in 2013 WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THE FOLLOWING:-
- 19th/20th January 2013
- 9th/10th March 2013
- 20th/21st April 2013
- 15th/16th June 2013
- 28th/29th September 2013
- 16th/17th November 2013
In addition to the weekends they are OPEN EVERY DAY DURING THE FOLLOWING TIMES IN 2013: ALL DATES ARE INCLUSIVE:-
- Christmas/New Year: 22nd December 2012 – 1st January 2013
- Easter: 29th March – 7th April 2013
- Bank Holiday: 4th – 6th May 2013
- Spring: 25th May – 2nd June 2013
- Summer: 27th July – 1st September 2013
- Christmas/New Year: 21st December 2013 – 5th January 2014.
The exhibitions in Tyneham School and Tyneham Church are open 10.00-16.00. The abandoned village and its historical exhibition are 0.5 mile/800m inland of the Coast Path, and worth the diversion. The gates to the walks are opened as near to 09.00 on the Saturday morning as possible and remain open until 08.00 on the Monday morning when open only at weekends. The gate to Tyneham is locked each night at dusk.
For any further information telephone 01929 404819 or 01929 404712, 0800-1700, Monday to Friday
About 70,000 high explosive shells are fired each year which means that the Army must search the path thoroughly before opening it. It is absolutely essential to follow these rules;
- Never enter the Ranges if the gate is locked
- Never stray from the path
- Never allow children or dogs to stray
- Never enter any building
- Never pick up any object
- Never camp or light fires
- Never attempt to walk if there is mist or fog
- Never enter the Ranges unless you have time to complete the very arduous 6-mile walk
- ALWAYS obey instructions of the range wardens
Information about the range walks can be obtained from the Range Control Office (0900-1630 hrs Mon-Fri and during the weekends when the ranges walks are closed), Tel: 01929 404819.
Unfortunately, there are no permanent staff on duty in the Guard room. Soldiers posted to or on the course at Lulworth find themselves on Guard Duty from time to time. They have much to do and whether or not the Range walks are open does not come to the top of the list. Every effort is made to ensure that up to date information is at hand in the Guard room.