Tregantle Ranges, (South Cornwall)
(Grid ref: between SX 375 535 and SX 386 528)
Opened in late 2003, it is now possible to walk through the ranges. This has been made possible by the Ministry of Defence following representations by us. [See our annual award for 2003.]
For information about range opening times, call 01752 822516. When the range walks are closed you will need to take a 1.5 mile (2.4km) detour along roads on the "old" path.
Lulworth Ranges, (Dorset)
(Grid ref: between SY 828 797 and SY 900 790)
Lulworth Range Walks and Tyneham Village Opening Times 2014
The Lulworth Range walks and Tyneham Villages are open to the public every weekend with the exception of the following:
- 18th/19th January 2014
- 8th/09th March 2014
- 11th/13th April 2014
- 14th/15th June 2014
- 27th/28th September 2014
- 15th/16th November 2014
In addition to the weekends they are open every day during the following times; all dates are inclusive:
- Christmas 21st December 2013 – 05th January 2014
- Easter 18th – 27th April 2014
- Bank Holiday 03rd – 5th May 2014
- Spring 24th May – 1st June 2014
- Summer 26th July – 31st August 2014
- Christmas 20th December 2014 – 4th January 2015
Please note that the exhibitions in Tyneham School and Tyneham Church are open from 10.00 until 16.00.
The gates to the walks are opened as near to 0900 hours on the Saturday morning as possible and remain open until 0800 hours on the Monday morning when only open at the weekends. The gate to Tyneham is locked each night at dusk.
For any further information please phone 01929 404819
About 70,000 high explosive shells are fired each year which means that the Army must search the path thoroughly before opening it. It is absolutely essential to follow these rules;
- Never enter the Ranges if the gate is locked
- Never stray from the path
- Never allow children or dogs to stray
- Never enter any building
- Never pick up any object
- Never camp or light fires
- Never attempt to walk if there is mist or fog
- Never enter the Ranges unless you have time to complete the very arduous 6-mile walk
- ALWAYS obey instructions of the range wardens
Information about the range walks can be obtained from the Range Control Office (0900-1630 hrs Mon-Fri and during the weekends when the ranges walks are closed), Tel: 01929 404819.
Unfortunately, there are no permanent staff on duty in the Guard room. Soldiers posted to or on the course at Lulworth find themselves on Guard Duty from time to time. They have much to do and whether or not the Range walks are open does not come to the top of the list. Every effort is made to ensure that up to date information is at hand in the Guard room.